History

History2018-12-19T00:23:46+11:00

Our History

The Parramatta City Tennis Centre (also know as “Parra Tennis”) is the home of “Tennis in the West”.  The Centre, previously referred to as “Glenquarrie” was established in 1947 when Pat McMahon and his wife Lilla, commenced court construction of 4 grass courts. This encouraged many families in the area to start playing tennis.

In 1954, Pat sold the original courts and surrounding land to the Parramatta City Council for £4500. Since then, our Association has grown to include 13 grass courts and 4 clay courts, all named after previously owned courts located around the district (e.g. Alvina, Naomi)

“Parra Tennis” continues to be a very popular centre and is managed by a passionate team of Management Committee volunteers and an onsite Caretaker. Committee members continue to volunteer their time with everything from court maintenance, organization of competition and social matches to Barbeques and fundraising.

Parra Tennis is affiliated with Tennis NSW and NSW Hardcourt Tennis Association

Hits: 26